Saturday, November 03, 2007

November 3, 2007 we are now at Thousand Trails Chesapeake Bay Preserve in Gloucester, Virginia. Before we left the RV Park, we were at, we went to IKEA to look for a new recliner chair/computer chair for Dave and also get a new kitchen rug and trash can, well we left with the rug and trash can but no chair. The chair that came with the coach is nice he just wishes it would go a little bit straighter for when he is on the computer. Anyway, while we were there they had a $1.99 breakfast special so we went for it. Scramble eggs(I think, at least that's what it said) home potatoes, 3 pieces of bacon and 3 sticks of french toast. Coffee came with it for free, $4.18 for breakfast for two can't beat that.
We got on the road at 11am, we arrived at TT at 2:45, can't say it went smoothly, I don't think anytime we have ever travelled it has gone smoothly. We either fight at the beginning, end, middle or all three. I think I said the last place we stayed at, Cherry Hill, went with no problems, I lied, we got lost driving to the RV spot we were assigned to, Dave missed the 1st turn ect. ect.
This time we didn't set up any GPS's we went by the "Streets and Trips" print out, another program Dave has. When we were close Dave turned left, I asked why he turned and he said it said 33 east. I said the print out says "Turn LEFT (East) onto SR-198[SR-33] for 21 YARDS. He said he just remembered the 33 east, so we went at least 5 miles out of our way to get back to where we should be. I guess if we didn't have these mishaps life would be very boring, besides that the dog was way to comfy and she panics when we fight and she needed some excitement. OK enough of the drive
When we got set up we went into Urbanna to the 50th Oyster Festival, had no idea it was so big. The whole town closes down and thousands of people show up, wait till you see some of the pics. I just don't understand why it starts on Friday and ends on Saturday, I could see, maybe, if they had carnival rides starting on Friday night, then ending on Sunday, but they had no rides. This darn Oyster Festival starts Friday morning and ends Saturday night, weird. We must have walked 2 miles, after we parked just to get to the town, then seeing the whole town taken over was really neat. The first stop was the bathroom for Dave, as we were standing in line I had asked Dave if he was going to have one of the oyster sandwiches, the guy in front of us, big time biker, tattoos, leather, long hair ect. said to us we just had to try the booth up the street. They were the best fried oyster sandwiches anywhere, he had eaten 2 himself and his wife had tried the "she crab soup" and it was great too. He was a very nice guy and we had talked awhile with him waiting for the outhouses. After Dave's bathroom stop we walked back to get a oyster sandwich, which was very good, I have never really eaten an oyster and it being lightly fried wasn't bad, but I only took 2 bites. What I'm building up to is, after walking around for another 30 min. we saw the biker guy again, he was on a electric cart with 3 cops, I said Dave that's they guy we talked to, we need to tell him thanks for the recommendation on the oyster sandwich. Dave said no he is in handcuffs on that cart, I look over and could see the guys hands were behind his back, Dave said he wouldn't be riding that way if he wasn't handcuffed. Too bad the guy seemed so nice and wasn't drunk or anything so have no idea what went wrong.
We walked around some more, got some jambalaya, and as we were leaving we stopped and got a cup of the "she crab soup" which was very good. It was very entertaining, and one heck of a festival, wouldn't mind coming back again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two things: Glad you tried the oysters. They are pretty popular up here. I really don't care for them but I figure everyone has to try them once! And, I am glad that Rob and I are not the only ones that fight when we are trying to get somewhere.