Thursday, October 18, 2007

October 18, 2007 yesterday we drove to Gettysburg and stopped by the visitor center and checked it out. While there we went to an electric map show they had that showed the 3 days of battle that were the worst in history. Dave then purchased the 2 hr. audio w/map that we could play in the car for ourselves and do the drive at our leisure. They even have, for $45.00, a ranger that will drive in your car with you if you want and explain everything to you, but didn't want that. The more we kept driving around the more it came back to me that we had done this drive either 15 or 16 yrs earlier. It was when Kim was either 8 or 9 and we had gone back to Maryland for a year, remember that year, that's when she got the brain turmor. We had done the Gettysburg thing before that tho. Anyway, the weather was high 70's it wasn't that crowded, not many tour buses, so it was very enjoyable. We could take our time or rush thru what ever we wanted. We ended up getting back to the coach about 5pm so it was a good long day.
Today, just wait I know you are going to be jealous, we started out going to the "Seltzer's Bologna Factory" one of the local attractions, what a joke. We thought it was going to be a factory tour, or something, it was just a sandwich place that sold lots of different kinds of bologna. When we walked in they had some free samples then a sign to the side all ladies shirts and pullovers are all $2 today, so that's where I headed. Dave tracked me down after a short while and said "you are not buying thrift clothes, let's go" I said why not they are only $2. As we were walking out, without buying anything damn it, there was a DVD playing that showed how the Bologna Factory operated, when we got back in the car we looked closer at the AAA book and it said it was only a DVD to watch. I must say the bologna we did taste was good, but it looked more like salami so maybe it's better that we didn't see a tour of how it was made, god only knows what was in it.
Then we drove to Costco, for gas, then to hobby world, Dave's knew hobby is building sail boats, gets him off the computer, then on to "The National Civil War Museum"
That has to have been the best museum we have ever been at so far. If you ever get to Harrisburg it is a must see. Believe me right now I have had enough history to last me a life time but this one caught my interest. It has reading, audio and short films that you can watch along the way. It starts off in 1850 and basicly ends in 1865 when Lincoln gets shot by Booth. It does show some of the memorials later on that are put up in the Gettysburg battle, but it was interesting. I must confess tho, ask me next year about it and I won't be able to tell you anything, maybe even next week, history isn't my thing, but I'm trying to learn. I'm like the kids today, what is history is history, we need to work on the now and the future, what can I say, simple mind. It's my blog so I can say anything I want.

1 comment:

marisa said...

I've noticed a pattern on the blog lately: for someone not into history you sure do a lot of history tours. I say stick with the bologna/pretzel/chocolate kind of tours and skip the history stuff. Besides you'll probably remember more from those tours that you can share w/ the rest of us in Dec. I know I probably would. It's typical that they skip the women's roles and don't mention "call girls" on tours. We always get thrown by the wayside. (Shawn's putting Inara to sleep so I stole away to get caught up on some reading.)