Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Mind is 25 but the hurting body is 50

Wednesday morning, Dave and I were sore, but I managed to get in about a 7 mile walk, Valley went with me for about 3 miles, and Dave joined us and walked about 2 miles. Dave and I then went over to play pickle ball with the better players about 9:45am. There was another couple, Rick and Shirreen, that showed up at 11am for lessons. After their lessons, we, meaning, Lee, Audrey, Dave and I asked them if they wanted to get together at 4pm to practice playing, which they did. But before any of us left we played another 6 games and didn’t leave the courts until almost 1pm, and we were going back at 4pm, we must be crazy. We got back to the coach, had a little lunch then for me it was lay out in the sun and nap, and Dave just snoozed away in the coach. When we all showed up at 4pm, since there were 6 people, and it’s only 4 on a court, Linda and Rick (yes, another Rick) said they would play with us too. We didn’t get back to the RV until 6pm. Boy, were we exhausted, and sore. I told Dave when we go tomorrow there is no way I am staying and playing that long, we are leaving soon and I have things to do in the coach, like rest. Don’t get me wrong, I love doing this and Dave is pretty good at this sport, but I have a problem, I keep running and trying not to miss any of the balls, when everyone else says “if you have to take more than 2 steps you just let it go” I just don’t follow that saying. In my mind I am still 25 but the body says “No Way in Hell”. I feel kind of bad for Valentine, she has to hear us moan in pain all night long, no wonder she sleeps all day long.

Thursday, I got in about an 8 mile walk before we left for pickle ball. We got to the courts and played for 2 hours and said that was enough for now. The other 2 couples that were beginners with us, Audrey, Lee, Rick and Shirreen , didn’t show up at all. I know Audrey and Lee the night before had caught colds, so I kind of knew they wouldn’t show, but the other couple are in their early 50’s so they should have shown up, must have been too sore. Anyway, Dave and I went back at 4pm, and no one was there, so we played 2 games by ourselves then came back to the coach.
Our next door neighbors, here in 1000 Trails, stopped by and told us they had just gotten back from town and diesel fuel was selling for $4.29 a gallon. What the hell? This is getting ridicules, now because of the fuel prices, plus the way the stock market is going, we are thinking about maybe we should stop travelling around and just settling down in one of the houses in Arizona. We can put the RV in storage and just use it when we have put enough money away from the part time jobs we will need to get. (Just kidding, hopefully, but then maybe not)
This fuel stuff is really putting a damper on our future short term plans, after New Mexico, then Bakersfield we had thought we would travel to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Redding, Sacramento, Oakland, all to see family but now we have to rethink everything. We might only make it to Oakland and Sacramento then just park our butts in Bakersfield, Yuk, because of the heat, until next October when we go to the balloon festival in New Mexico. We just don’t know, and we may even have to cancel our Louis and Clark trip next May 2009 if the fuel prices don’t improve.
OK enough wining, tomorrow morning after my walk we will go for pickle ball again then we have an appointment at 2pm to do an inspection of our rental units, need the write off for our taxes. Saturday we head to Tucson Arizona for 2 nights then on to Las Cruces New Mexico for the Holiday Rambler Rally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gas prices pretty much suck. Today I saw that diesel in Ferndale was $4.09. I thought about you guys. Really hope you guys can make it up.

Kelli

Jeri said...

Don't know if we can make it past Sacramento, with these fuel prices. After Las Cruces it's back to Bakersfield then who knows. Dave's retirement $ can only go so far.