Thursday, May 20, 2010

Update since leaving Branson, MO

The last night in Branson we went to dinner at Landry's Seafood House. We had gone there 3 years ago on April 1st, it was our 29th wedding anniversary. I had been so sick and had such a high fever but I still thought I could make it through dinner, wrong. While sitting at the table I had a seizure of some kind and when I came too I couldn't figure out why all these people were around me. Dave ran and got the car and some man helped Dave get me out to the car and on to the ER we went. I kept telling Dave I felt fine, I mean I was really feeling great, the best I had felt for days. He didn't care we were still going to the hospital, which we sat in the waiting room it seemed like forever. When I got in the doctor said he couldn't find anything wrong and I had no fever, so I think what happened was my fever broke while sitting at the restaurant. Anyway, this time we think I even ordered the same thing I did the 1st time and let me tell you the dinner was great.
Driving from Branson to Altoona, Iowa there were so many armadillos dead on the side of the road, some even laying on their backs with their legs sticking straight up in the air. After stopping and getting some fuel, Dave jumped back on the freeway and was going to turn over the driving to me when we got clear of all the construction, when he hit the brakes a little and felt something funny. He looked at our backup camera and the car was turned kind of sideways, he turned the camera down and could see that one of our tow bars had unlocked. We had to get pulled over right away, and had to do it slowly. I could see ahead there was enough room between the on ramp and the freeway for us to fit in. We managed to get pulled over and Dave went to the back and we tried to get the arm to lock again. We used the walkie talkies and tried different things, and in the process a city policeman pulled over beside us on the on ramp. We needed him with his lights flashing on the freeway side or call State Troopers to cover us on the freeway, but he didn't do that. I kept watching in the mirror and praying that the trucks had enough time to get out of the lane so they didn't hit Dave while he had to keep getting in and out of the car. Dave ended up having to unhook the car, back up, go forward and re hook up the tow bar again. I pulled the rig forward and the tow bar locked again. Dave jumped back in the RV and we took off again, Dave watching the tow bar in the camera the whole time. It was making me a nervous wreck after about 10 miles we got off and rechecked the tow bar and everything looked fine. I took over driving after that and drove until we were almost to Altoona. We arrived in the RV park got setup and that's when we discovered our bat wings, which is the manual antenna you put up for local TV Channels, was bent. All we can figure is when we hit the winds in New Mexico or Texas, when our awning was torn so bad, it must have bent the bat wing too. We don't always put up the wings but in Iowa we wanted to see the local weather.
We start work tomorrow on the rides, I'm on the Red Barons, which is a ride for kids 54 inches and shorter and I'm all by myself no assistant. Dave is doing the Sky Ride he is an assistant, lucky him. I will be trying to update more often so I can keep you all updated on how it is working as an amusement park carnies.
One trip we did do last Sunday was visit the Amana Colonies, in all there are 7 Amana villages in a 20 mile radius.

No comments: