Tuesday, July 21, 2009

MRI Results Are In

Dave and I both had appointments with the Orthopedic doctor, Dave's knees have been hurting again so he thought he would let the doctor look at his knees too. The only problem is you have to have a different appointment for each knee, the doctor will only look at one knee at a time, you know they have to make their money. Anyway, Dave picked his right knee so they took x-rays of his right knee and also they take a picture of both knees side by side. When the doctor came in he started with Dave, he took one look and said his knees are gone. He needs both whole knee replacements. (They 1/2 knee replacements now, who knew?) The doctor was amazed to hear that Dave and I walk 2 1/2 to 3 miles every morning. He said "on those knees, boy you must have a high pain tolerance" as long as they don't hurt I won't do knee surgery. When you can't stand the pain anymore then we should do surgery.

Then it was my turn for the MRI results. Well it ends up being a torn meniscus, which everyone thought, but I also have a moderate-sized Baker's cyst, which is what my mom had. A Baker's cyst is a condition in which you experience a bulge and a feeling of tightness behind your knee. The pain gets worse when you fully extend your knee or when you're active. Well, we have a problem here, I must stay active, the doctor and the therapist said to keep moving, as long as it doesn't hurt, so that's what I am going to do.

The doctor still said to go to therapy but when the pain is too much we should go in and fix the torn meniscus but that I was also a candidate for a 1/2 knee replacement. What the hell is he talking about I'm too young too even talk about knee replacement, my mind still thinks that I am in my late 20's early 30's, but my body sure isn't agreeing with my mind. Hell, in my younger days, I thought I would never live to be as old as 25, now at 51 could I live to be 70, 80, or 90, I sure don't think so, but the closer you get the more you think about it.

Last Saturday, 7/18, Joaquin showed up to fix my treadmill, well that didn't happen. The parts they had sent us, they were guessing what was wrong, were not the right parts. Now they think it is the counsel, so that is on order now. Darn, I what my treadmill back soooo much. Once the new part shows, that they are shipping us, then again we have to set up an appointment for Joaquin to show up again.

Monday night we went to the Verde Santa Fe board meeting, Dave is going to volunteer for one of the committees. It's another way to meet more people. It's funny, since this town isn't that big, we go places and see people you have seen before, which means we have to start remembering everyone's name. Simi was so big we never had that problem, and with me I have a real problem remembeing names, I just don't listen, that's my problem. People say to repeat the name and then spell it, that helps you to remember, I guess I'll try that. (but 1st I have to try and remember to listen)

The Mexican statue I had sitting on the wall, fell and broke, so I got a bigger one. When Dave was out working out in the garage the other day he heard a crash and realized the wind had knocked over my second Mexican guy. Needless to say if I get another one, which I will, I will need earth quake glue, which I'm sure we won't be able to find in Arizona, or I'm nailing that sucker down.

I mentioned earlier that Dave is working in the garage, boy, is he in 7th heaven. If it wasn't for the heat (98 to 105) he would probably be out there all day. He has so many projects going on right now they all involve the garage. Work bench, cabinets, addition to his table saw, but I have to admit he cleans up everyday so the car can be parked in the garage. In 30 years that has never happened, except maybe Oxnard, cars just were not welcome in Dave's garages.

2 comments:

Mike said...

The knee replacement would probably be easier for you to heal because your younger. Use clear silicone to stick the thing on the wall. Use 2-wat tape to hold it in position & let silicone set up. It's the best glue ever made. Use it all my sign mounts.

Jeri said...

Thanks for the info for my next Mexican guy.
I'm too young for the knee replacement, maybe in 10 years if the knee gets worse I'll think about the whole knee instead of a partial. I hear that they last up to 20 years now instead of 10.